Carrying out repairs as a landlord

Last updated: 9 May 2018

Tolerable Standard

The Tolerable Standard is a basic level of repair your property must meet to make it fit for a person to live in. The local council can force you to carry out work to bring your home up to the tolerable standard.

A home may not be fit to live in if:

  • it has problems with rising or penetrating damp
  • it's not structurally stable (for example, it might be subsiding)
  • it doesn't have enough ventilation, natural and artificial light or heating
  • it isn't insulated well enough
  • it doesn't have an acceptable fresh water supply, or a sink with hot and cold water
  • it doesn't have an indoor toilet, a fixed bath or shower, and a wash basin with hot and cold water
  • it doesn't have a good drainage and sewerage system
  • the electric supply doesn't meet safety regulations
  • it doesn't have a proper entrance
  • there aren't cooking facilities – this doesn't mean the landlord has to provide a cooker, but there must be somewhere suitable for a tenant to install their own
Carrying out repairs as a landlord
Tolerable Standard