You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Keeping your pay and tax records

You need to keep records if you have to send HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) a Self Assessment tax return.

You'll need your records to fill in your tax return correctly. If HMRC checks your tax return, they may ask for the documents.

Find out more about keeping tax records on GOV.UK, including:

  • how to keep your records
  • how long to keep your records
  • rental income
  • overseas income 
Back to top