Home education (teaching your child at home)

Last updated: 7 January 2020

Teaching your child at home

You have a right to teach your child at home rather than sending them to school.

If you choose to do this, your council will check from time to time that your teaching at home is of a high standard.

How your local council checks

Your local council should be in touch with you at least once a year to see how you're getting on. If your local council believes your child is not being taught to a good standard it can issue an 'attendance order'.

An attendance order means that your local council has given an order for your child to attend school.

How to withdraw your child from your council school

If your child goes to a council school you have to get consent from your local council to take your child out of school and start teaching them at home.

If your child doesn't go to a council school you don't have to ask your council for consent. For example, if they go to an independent (often known as 'private') school.

Extra support

If your child needs extra support while you're teaching them at home, known as 'Additional Support Learning', you can ask your local council to assess what extra help your child can get at home.

Advice about home education

Home schooling guidance from gov.scot

Education Otherwise

Education Otherwise give support if you want to teach your child at home. They offer local groups, contacts and advice.

10 Charlton Road
Bridge of Allan

Phone: 01786 831066

Schoolhouse Home Education Association

Schoolhouse Home Education Association gives online advice to parents or other carers who want to teach a child at home.