You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Get help with money if you're pregnant

There are 2 main types of help you can get with money if you're pregnant:

  • payments you can claim whether you're in work or not, such as the Pregnancy and Baby Payment or Healthy Start vouchers
  • paid time off, known as 'maternity pay'

What you can claim

Pregnancy and Baby Payment

You can be paid up to £600 if:

  • you're going to have a baby
  • you've had a baby in the last 6 months
  • you've just started looking after a baby or young child who is not yours

There are some other things that will affect whether you can get the payment. These are:

  • whether you're one of the main people who looks after a child you apply for
  • what benefits or payments you get
  • when you need to apply

Find out more about the Pregnancy and Baby Payment.

Healthy Start Scheme

The Healthy Start scheme can help you buy basic foods like milk or fruit if you're:

  • pregnant
  • have a child under 4

If you're able to join the scheme you'll be sent vouchers you can spend in shops.

You can also get coupons to swap for free vitamins if you're:

  • pregnant
  • breastfeeding
  • have a child aged between 6 months and 5 years

Find out more about Healthy Start on GOV.UK.

Paid time off

Maternity pay

Your contract will tell you what paid time off you can get when:

  • you're pregnant
  • after you've given birth

If you're not sure you can ask your manager or HR.

If where you work does not offer paid leave for pregnant women you can apply for 'Statutory Maternity Pay'.

Statutory Maternity Pay

You can get Statutory Maternity Pay for up to 39 weeks while you have your baby. It is paid in the same way as you get your wages.

Find out more about statutory maternity pay on GOV.UK.

If you take Shared Parental Leave you'll get Statutory Shared Parental Pay (ShPP).

Maternity Allowance

You can get Maternity Allowance if you're not able to get Statutory Maternity Pay.

Find out more about Maternity Allowance on GOV.UK.

Back to top