A scheme providing training, advice and support to UK companies selling overseas for the first time.
The FTE initiative comprises:
- A new cadre of 100 International Trade Advisors (ITAs) for First Time Exporters. These ITAs will provide new or inexperienced exporters with training, planning and support to grow their business overseas. They will help companies to get started in international trade, assess their export capability and develop it further, give them help and support to select and visit potential markets and save time and money. Specifically companies will be provided with a flexible programme of support, including:
- a detailed assessment of their readiness to export;
- an action plan for export activity;
- workshops on stages of exporting;
- help with market research and visits to target markets; and
- event networking and tradeshow opportunities
- Export Savvy: To help companies take the first steps in exporting UKTI is offering an online tool, called Export Savvy. This offers companies a short six module programme to help them understand the basics of exporting.
- Export Insight Visits: Export Insight Visits are trade missions that are part education part business. UKTI takes companies that are exporting for the first time to nearby markets where they are first made aware of UKTI’s offer and what an Embassy can do for them and are then walked through their first contacts with foreign buyers. The aim is to have 4/5 visits each with 25 companies spread evenly across the year.
- Digital Advisers: In addition to the FTE cadre of ITAs a separate team of 20 e-Exporting/Digital Advisors are being recruited. These e-exporting/Digital Advisors will be fully integrated into the ITA teams and will help First time Exporters to access digital markets.
- Great British Store: This is a public/private initiative to provide a link between small, innovative UK producers and buyers, agents and retailers overseas. It will take the form of a website where UK companies can load a selection of their products that can be viewed by buyers in overseas markets.
- Global Events Programme: UKTI's Global Entrepreneur Programme (GEP) helps overseas entrepreneurs and early stage technology businesses or start-ups that want to relocate their business to the UK.
The First Time Exporters (FTE) initiative is a package of support which includes training and advice for companies selling overseas for the first time. This includes the opportunity to take part in trade missions to nearby markets to help them develop their first contacts with foreign buyers. It also helps companies that are considering exporting for the first time, to take advantage of digital opportunities, offering dedicated digital trade advisers and an online tool designed to assist their export planning.
Although there are no specific exclusions cited within the programme guidelines, those wishing to apply are advised to liaise with the funding provider in the first instance to discuss eligibility.
UK-based companies that are intending to expand into international markets for the first time may apply.
Match funding is not a stipulated requirement of this programme.