You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Expenses and benefits

Expenses and benefits for employers

If you're an employer and provide expenses or benefits to employees or directors, you might need to tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) so you can pay tax and National Insurance on them.

Visit GOV.UK for information on:

  • examples of expenses and benefits
  • reporting and paying
  • deadlines
  • record keeping
  • exemptions and dispensations

Loans provided to employees

If you're an employer and you provide loans to your employees or their relatives, you have certain National Insurance and reporting obligations.

Visit GOV.UK for information on:

  • beneficial loans
  • what's exempt
  • what to report and pay
  • working out the value of loans
  • technical guidance

PAYE Settlement Agreements

A PAYE Settlement Agreement (PSA) lets you make one annual payment to cover all the tax and National Insurance due on small or irregular taxable expenses or benefits for your employees.

Visit GOV.UK for information on:

  • how a PSA works
  • what's included in a PSA
  • how to get a PSA
  • deadlines and payment

Tell HMRC about a company car

If you provide company cars to your employees, you need to send a P46 (Car) form to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Visit GOV.UK for information on:

  • how to send the form
  • what to report to HMRC
  • reporting changes
  • deadlines
  • exceptions
Back to top