If you've trouble heating your home you could get funding for energy saving improvements. This could help make your home warmer and reduce your energy bills.
You could get:
- a grant you do not need to pay back
- an interest free loan
Types of energy saving improvements
Improvements you could get funding for includes:
- boilers and heating systems
- draught proofing
- insulation including:
- cavity wall
- solid wall
- solar panels and other renewable energy
- windows - to replace single glazing but not double glazing
How to apply
You apply through Home Energy Scotland. They’re funded by the Scottish Government.
You can either:
- phone: 0808 808 2282 - Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm. Saturday 9am to 5pm
- complete a contact form (someone will phone you back)
Talking to Home Energy Scotland
When you talk to Home Energy Scotland they'll ask questions about you and your home. This is to check everything you could qualify for.
Home Energy Scotland grant and loan
You could get:
- a grant for up to £7,500 each to install:
- energy efficiency improvements
- zero emission heating improvements
- an optional £7,500 interest free loan
You can claim increased grants of up to £9,000 if you live in a rural area.
If you're unsure, Home Energy Scotland can confirm if you’re a rural household when you call.
Who can apply
You need to be a homeowner.
Building your own home
You can apply for a loan for renewable energy systems but not for energy saving improvements.
You cannot apply if you’re a private landlord. But you could apply for the Private Rented Sector Landlord Loan.
Before you apply
- you cannot carry out the work before you have a loan offer in writing
- you need quotes from installers to complete the application process (you can start the application process and add these later)
- you need to use certain approved installers
Get information on choosing approved installers on the Home Energy Scotland website.
The adviser will tell you about improvements that could make your home cheaper to heat and keep warm. They'll also tell you about funding you could get.
Warmer Homes Scotland scheme (grant)
New applications to Warmer Homes Scotland are paused right now. These will start again in October.
You can still contact Home Energy Scotland who’ll keep your application until then.
Other funding you could get
You could get other funding depending on where you live.
Check funding by your postcode on the Home Energy Scotland website.
More help with home energy
Contact Home Energy Scotland if you:
- are unsure if you qualify for funding
- want energy saving advice
Phone: 0808 808 2282
Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm. Saturday 9am to 5pm.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback