You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Documents you need for importing

If you plan on importing goods from another country, you must make sure you have the right documents.

Customs entries

If you're importing from inside the EU, there are systems in place to help speed up the process, like the Import Control System.

You'll also need to use a commodity code.

If you're importing from outside the EU, you'll need an invoice and a copy of the transport documentation, such as a Bill of Landing, for customs clearance.

If you're importing goods worth over £6,500, you'll also need a valuation statement. You can declare the imports to customs using Single Administrative Document form C88.

Import licences

Depending on what you're importing to the UK you may need an import licence.

If you're moving goods through the UK, you may need a transhipment licence.

If you're importing from within the EU, you'll need a commodity code.

If you're importing from outside of the EU, you'll need a Bill of Lading for customs clearance and to use the Import Control System.

If you go over the annual import threshold from EU countries, you must complete an Intrastat arrivals declaration.

As of July 2016, the annual import threshold is £1.5 million. This threshold is reviewed annually.

You can hire a freight forwarder or import agent to help you with the paperwork. The British International Freight Association (BIFA) can help you find a freight forwarder.

If you're importing from outside the EU, you need to register with the Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system.

Back to top