Training grants of up to £1,000 for UK film professionals to spend on training and professional development in the area of management and leadership.
If the applicant is a freelancer they may apply for up to 80% of the combined fees, travel and accommodation costs of the training, up to a maximum of £1,000 inclusive of VAT.
If the applicant is employed they may apply for up to 50% of the combined fees, travel and accommodation costs of the training, up to a maximum of £500 though Creative Skillset would usually expect the applicant's employer to contribute additionally to the training.
Travel and accommodation will only be supported at a standard rate:
- Overnight accommodation within the UK but outside London – £60/ night.
- Overnight accommodation in London – £90/ night.
- Overnight accommodation outside the UK – £90/ night.
- Flights – economy rates only.
- Rail travel – standard class fares only.
- Car travel – 45p per mile.
Creative Skillset will only pay a contribution to childcare costs in addition to the course fees. Rates are as follows:
- Up to a maximum of £40 per day within London.
- Up to a maximum of £30 per day outside London but within the UK.
Creative Skillset’s Film Skills Fund is funded by the British Film Institute (BFI) with National Lottery funds and through the Skills Investment Funds, which comprise industry and Government co-investment.
Management and Leadership Bursaries are funding for training grants of up to £1,000 for film professionals to spend on training and professional development in the area of management and leadership.
The bursary will not support the following:
- Training that does not meet the criteria set out in these guidelines.
- Full-time graduate, postgraduate, degree or diploma courses.
- Training that is already supported by either the Creative Skillset Film Skills Fund or the Creative Skillset TV Skills Fund. Creative Skillset subsidises the cost of training in two ways: funding to a training organisation to run a specific programme or course and direct funding to individuals. If Creative Skillset has already supported a course by giving finance to a training provider, it is not able to give funding for training to individuals to attend these courses as this would amount to double-funding.
- Training that is due to start earlier than one day after the date the application is received by Creative Skillset.
- Training not arranged through a recognised industry training provider or assessment centre.
- Attendance at networking, festivals or social events, without relevant training or educational content.
- Film or video production or exhibition projects.
- The purchase of equipment.
- Travel, accommodation and childcare costs only.
Applicants cannot apply for a Management and Leadership Bursary if they:
- are in full-time education;
- does not have a permanent UK address;
- cannot demonstrate clear professional experience working in the film industry that shows they are regularly working;
- is applying on behalf of an organisation; or
- if they are receiving another form of Creative Skillset funding to attend this training.
Applications are accepted from UK film professionals who are already in a management or leadership role or about to move into one. Applications are encouraged from across the industry, including development, production, exhibition, sales, distribution and archive.
Match funding of at least 20% is a requirement of the scheme.
The bursary can be used for a variety of training including attending specific short courses or professional development programmes, mentoring, coaching, and intensive training with specialists or experts.