To leave the page quickly, press the escape key.


You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Witness expenses for going to court

If you've been 'cited' to appear at court as a witness, you may be entitled to claim some expenses.

Being 'cited' means you've been sent an official letter – called a 'citation' – telling you to come to court and give evidence as a witness.

You can claim expenses for:

  • travelling to and from the court
  • meals
  • loss of income or earnings
  • childcare and other caring duties – like looking after a relative who is elderly or has disabilities
  • accompanying a vulnerable witness

Visit the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service website for more information on claiming expenses. 

Back to top