Funding for businesses and third sector organisations to undertake projects that aim to improve the scale, range and depth of resource efficiency work and reduce carbon output in Scotland.
Funding is aimed at SMEs that require a minimum grant investment of £50,000 with up to £1 million available for higher value applications.
The Circular Economy Investment Fund is an £18 million grant funding opportunity for businesses and organisations in Scotland working in all business and social economy sectors, who are helping to create a more circular economy. Proposals are invited from small to medium sized enterprises (fewer than 250 employees/turnover less than €50 million) and non-profit organisations (charities and social enterprises).
The main purposes of this fund are as follows:
- To stimulate the development of innovative, resource efficient products and services for the purposes of supporting a circular economy in Scotland.
- To encourage the collaboration for the purpose of exploiting opportunities and confronting challenges.
- To provide support in order to develop innovative and creative business models.
- To provide funding for projects that have demonstrated proof of concept and that have the potential for commercial exploitation so that they might progress to a stage where they may attract investors.
- To achieve significant carbon savings.
Interested parties should note the following restrictions:
- Activity related to the production of agricultural or fisheries products will not be considered eligible for funding
- Activity related to energy from waste projects will not be considered eligible for funding.
- Public sector bodies are not eligible to apply for funding.
- Large sized companies are not eligible to apply for funding.
Small and medium-sized enterprises are eligible to apply, as are registered third sector organisations such as charities, community groups and foundations. Collaborations between two or more organisations is encouraged in cases where this will positively impact the project proposal.
Information regarding match funding has not been stipulated. Interested parties should contact the funding provider directly for further information.
Proposals for funding will be considered for new circular economy products; development and adoption of innovative business models for new circular economy products and services; and development/uptake of innovative technologies, products and services to support a circular economy.
Applications are accepted on a first come first served basis and the fund closes 31 December 2018.
Interested parties may complete the Circular Economy Investment Fund Outline Project Proposal Form, which can be found on the Zero Waste Scotland website. Applicants will be notified within 30 working days whether or not they have been successful at this stage. If they have been successful, then they will be invited to partake in the final part of the application process.