You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Care equipment and adapting your home

If you're elderly, disabled or have a long term health condition and want help to live safely and independently in your home, using equipment, technology or making adaptations to your home may be a good option for you.

This could include:

  • getting equipment, like shower rails
  • adapting your home by installing a ramp or widening the doors
  • using everyday technology like computers or tablets to keep in touch with friends and family or do your shopping online
  • using telehealthcare

Care Information Scotland can give you the information and advice you need to get adaptations to your home made. Phone them on 0800 011 3200.

Equipment and making changes to your home

Equipment and changes to your home can help with:

  • moving around the house
  • getting up and down stairs
  • getting in and out of the bath

You can get different equipment depending on your needs, including:

  • shower grab rails or bath or shower seats
  • pressure-relief mattresses
  • flashing doorbells
  • walking aids
  • communication aids

Changes to your home could include:

  • widening doors so a wheelchair can fit through
  • installing a ramp
  • replacing your bath with a level-access shower

Find out more from Care Information Scotland about equipment and making changes to your home, as well as any help you might be able to get. You can get help and advice about making care equipment repairs.

Using everyday technology

Everyday technology like computers, tablets or smartphones can help you with things like:

  • shopping online (this could avoid queuing and carrying heavy bags, or if you're a carer it could save time)
  • catching up with friends or family (using video-calling services like Skype or FaceTime)
  • making sure families can organise, share care and manage emergencies, through things like group messaging and shared calendars

Carers can also find online support from other carers through various online groups and forums, letting them stay connected to people and share experiences.

Technology enabled care

Technology enabled care uses technology and equipment to support your health and care in your home, helping you and carers:

  • understand and control your condition
  • have peace of mind
  • lower the risk of unplanned hospital admissions – especially if you live in a rural area
  • have more freedom and confidence to enjoy day-to-day life

Technology enabled care can also give carers reassurance that their loved ones are safe and well.

You can get technology enabled care from:

  • local councils
  • health boards
  • health and social care partnerships
  • housing associations
  • private providers

Contact your local council's social work department to find out how to apply.

Aberdeen City Council Aberdeenshire Council Angus Council Argyll and Bute Council Clackmannanshire Council Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council) Dumfries & Galloway Council Dundee City Council East Ayrshire Council East Dunbartonshire Council East Lothian Council East Renfrewshire Council Edinburgh Council Falkirk Council Fife Council Glasgow City Council Highland Council Inverclyde Council Midlothian Council Moray Council North Ayrshire Council North Lanarkshire Council Orkney Islands Council Perth & Kinross Council Renfrewshire Council Scottish Borders Council Shetland Council South Ayrshire Council South Lanarkshire Council Stirling Council West Dunbartonshire Council West Lothian Council

You can also read Care Information Scotland's advice on how to get technology enabled care.


You can request an assessment of your care needs – this is an assessment carried out with you by care professionals to find out what your care needs are and how they might best be met. Ask your GP, district nurse or health visitor for information on services in your area.

Financial help

If you need help paying for adaptations to your home, you might be able to apply for financial assistance.

There are leaflets available that give more information on this for:

Back to top