You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Get a licence for your business

You can search for business licences on GOV.UK or your local council website.

Licence finder on GOV.UK

Find out what type of licence you need for your business using the GOV.UK licence finder tool.

You may be able to apply online, or you'll be directed to your local council.

Licences from your local council

Local councils are responsible for licensing and registering certain types of business activities. They can tell you whether you need a licence, help you apply for one and tell you how long the process will take.

Check with your local council about licenses for business and events such as:

  • alcohol – for premises and individuals selling or authorising the sale of alcohol
  • public entertainment
  • food safety licences
  • taxis and private hire cars
  • gambling
  • private markets where more than one seller is selling goods to the public
  • boarding animals
  • riding establishments
  • dangerous goods
  • marches and parades
  • public charitable collections
Visit Aberdeen City CouncilVisit Aberdeenshire CouncilVisit Angus CouncilVisit Argyll and Bute CouncilVisit Clackmannanshire CouncilVisit Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Visit Dumfries & Galloway CouncilVisit Dundee City CouncilVisit East Ayrshire CouncilVisit East Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit East Lothian CouncilVisit East Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Edinburgh CouncilVisit Falkirk CouncilVisit Fife CouncilVisit Glasgow City CouncilVisit Highland CouncilVisit Inverclyde CouncilVisit Midlothian CouncilVisit Moray CouncilVisit North Ayrshire CouncilVisit North Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Orkney Islands CouncilVisit Perth & Kinross CouncilVisit Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Scottish Borders CouncilVisit South Ayrshire CouncilVisit South Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Shetland CouncilVisit Stirling CouncilVisit West Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit West Lothian Council
Back to top