You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Build a gate, fence or wall around your flat

If you want to build, maintain or improve a gate, fence or wall around your flat, you should first check if you need to apply for planning permission.

Permitted development

You may not have to apply for planning permission if your gate, fence or wall meets the 'permitted development' rules.

If you meet these rules, you will automatically have planning permission.

Under permitted development you can build a gate, wall or fence around your flat as long as:

  • it's not higher than 2 metres
  • it's not higher than 1 metre if it's within 20 metres of a road
  • it's not within the grounds of a listed building

If you already have a gate, fence or wall that's taller than the permitted development height and you want to maintain, improve or change it, you can do this as long as it does not end up even taller and is not in the grounds of a listed building.

For example, if you have a 1.2 metre high fence that's within 20 metres of a road, you can replace it with another 1.2 metre fence under permitted development.

For a more detailed explanation of what's considered a permitted development for a gate, fence or wall outside a flat, read the Scottish Government's Guidance on Householder Permitted Development rights publication and go to section 5.15.

Planning permission

If the gate, fence or wall you want to build is higher than permitted development allows, you have to apply for planning permission.

Find out how to apply for planning permission, or contact your local authority for further information.

Aberdeen City Council Aberdeenshire Council Angus Council Argyll and Bute Council Cairngorms National Park Authority Clackmannanshire Council Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council) Dumfries & Galloway Council Dundee City Council East Ayrshire Council East Dunbartonshire Council East Lothian Council East Renfrewshire Council Edinburgh Council Falkirk Council Fife Council Glasgow City Council Highland Council Inverclyde Council Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Authority Midlothian Council Moray Council North Ayrshire Council North Lanarkshire Council Orkney Islands Council Perth & Kinross Council Renfrewshire Council Scottish Borders Council Shetland Islands Council South Ayrshire Council South Lanarkshire Council Stirling Council West Dunbartonshire Council West Lothian Council

You should always check with your council's planning department to see whether you need to apply for planning permission. Even if you meet the permitted development rules, there may be other approvals you'll need to get.

Other approvals

You might need other approvals before you can carry out work. For example, you might need approval under the building regulations from the local council.

If you do not own the land on which the development is being carried out (for example, if you're a tenant or the land's in joint ownership), you need to get the landowner's permission.

If you live in a listed building you'll also need to obtain listed building consent.

It's your responsibility to make sure you get any necessary approval.

Back to top