You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Attach something to or alter the outside of your flat

If you own a flat, you may want to add or change something on its external surface (its outside wall).

If you want to do this, you should first check to see if you need to apply for planning permission.

Permitted development

Many additions or improvements you want to make to the outside of your flat can be done without requesting planning permission.

If they meet a set of rules, you can add them without having to apply for it. This is called 'permitted development'.

Permitted development in this case only applies to additions or alterations that do not reach out more than a metre from your flat.

These include:

  • replacement or new windows and doors (as long as you are not altering the dimensions of the existing window or door)
  • solar panels
  • satellite dishes
  • flues (exhaust pipes)

There are also some additions that count as permitted development, but have different requirements. These additions include:

  • a flue forming part of a biomass heating system
  • a flue forming part of a combined heat and power system
  • an air source heat pump
  • CCTV

Find out more about the requirements for these additions in sections 6 and 7 of the Scottish Government's Guidance on Householder Permitted Development rights publication.

You can add something to the outside of your flat through permitted development as long as it does not make the flat larger, and is not:

  • a balcony, roof terrace or raised platform
  • a wind turbine
  • in a conservation area or within the curtilage of a listed building

You should always check with your council's planning department to see whether you need to apply for planning permission. Even if you meet the permitted development rules, there may be other approvals you'll need to get.

Planning permission

If the addition or improvement you want to add does not meet the conditions for permitted development, you have to apply for planning permission.

Find out how to apply for planning permission, or contact your local authority for further information.

Visit Aberdeen City CouncilVisit Aberdeenshire CouncilVisit Angus CouncilVisit Argyll and Bute CouncilVisit Cairngorms National Park AuthorityVisit Clackmannanshire CouncilVisit Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Visit Dumfries & Galloway CouncilVisit Dundee City CouncilVisit East Ayrshire CouncilVisit East Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit East Lothian CouncilVisit East Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Edinburgh CouncilVisit Falkirk CouncilVisit Fife CouncilVisit Glasgow City CouncilVisit Highland CouncilVisit Inverclyde CouncilVisit Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park AuthorityVisit Midlothian CouncilVisit Moray CouncilVisit North Ayrshire CouncilVisit North Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Orkney Islands CouncilVisit Perth & Kinross CouncilVisit Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Scottish Borders CouncilVisit Shetland Islands CouncilVisit South Ayrshire CouncilVisit South Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Stirling CouncilVisit West Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit West Lothian Council

Other approvals

You might need other approvals before you can carry out work. For example, you might need approval under the building regulations from the local council.

If you do not own the land on which the development is being carried out (for example, if you're a tenant or the land's in joint ownership), you need to get the landowner's permission.

If you live in a listed building you'll also need to obtain listed building consent.

It's your responsibility to make sure you get any necessary approval.

Back to top