You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Legal advice and legal aid

Getting free help with legal problems, finding a solicitor and applying for legal aid.

  1. Help with a legal problem

    Who can help you if you need advice about a legal problem, such as debt, housing, benefits, employment, divorce or claims for money.

  2. Legal aid

    Help with the costs of legal advice and representation in court if you can’t afford it.

  3. Complain about a solicitor or advocate

    How to complain about a solicitor or advocate using their procedure or by contacting the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission.

  4. Instead of going to court

    If you have a dispute with someone or an organisation, there may be ways to deal with it without going to court.

  5. Report legal aid fraud

    How to report legal aid fraud to the Scottish Legal Aid Board.

  6. Using a solicitor

    Solicitors can give you legal advice and representation at court.

  7. Complain about the Scottish Legal Aid Board

    How to complain to the Scottish Legal Aid Board if you’re unhappy with their service.

Back to top