Forestry in Scotland after Brexit (importing and exporting)

Last updated: 21 November 2019

The UK may be leaving the European Union on or before 31 January 2020.

Brexit may have an effect on life in Scotland.

It may also have an effect on forestry and the trading of wood and timber.

Brexit has not happened, and many of the details are not yet known or are regularly changing. This page gives the most up-to-date information, but it will be added to and changed over time, so please keep checking back for updates.

Importing and exporting wood and timber products

If you import or export certain wood or timber products to or from the UK, you'll have to follow plant health regulations, restrictions and requirements. It is unlikely these rules will change in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit.

These are in place to make sure each country's natural environment and plant-based industries are protected from any harmful organisms that may be found in wood, including certain types of:

  • insects
  • bacteria
  • fungi

The UK Government has more information and guidance on important and exporting wood and timber products.

There are different rules if you're exporting wood packaging.

Forest Reproductive Materials

Forest Reproductive Materials (FRM) is the name given to materials used when setting up a forest, including:

  • seeds
  • cones
  • cuttings
  • planting stuck

FRM is regulated under the Forest Reproductive Material (Great Britain) Regulations 2002.

The Scottish Forestry website has more information.

The content on this site is correct as of today's date and is based on the information available at this time. Regular updates will be made as the Brexit process develops. In the event of a 'no deal', additional advice and information will be given on this site. Please continue to check back for updates.