Add decking to your house

Last updated: 20 March 2019

If you want to add decking or some other type of platform to your house, you should check to see whether it is a 'permitted development'. If it isn't you will need to apply for planning permission.

Permitted development

You may not have to apply for planning permission if your decking meets the 'permitted development' rules.

The permitted development rules for adding decking to your house are:

  • it's located at the back of your house
  • the height of the floor level isn't any higher than 0.5 metres above ground level
  • the total height, including any attached structures or roof, isn't any higher than 2.5 metres above ground level
  • if it's within the grounds of a listed building or within a conservation area, the footprint doesn't exceed 4 square metres
You should always check with your council's planning department to see whether you need to apply for planning permission. Even if you meet the permitted development rules, there may be other approvals you'll need to get.

For a more detailed explanation of what's considered a permitted development when adding decking to your house, read the Scottish Government's Guidance on Householder Permitted Development rights publication and go to section 4.106.

Planning permission

If the decking you want to build doesn't meet the conditions for permitted development, you have to apply for planning permission.

Find out how to apply for planning permission, or contact your local Planning Authority for further information.

Other approvals

You might need other approvals before you can carry out work. For example, you might need approval under the building regulations from the local council.

If you don't own the land on which the development is being carried out (for example, if you're a tenant or the land's in joint ownership), you may need to get the landowner's permission.

If you live in a listed building you will probably also need to obtain listed building consent.

It's your responsibility to make sure you get any necessary approval.