You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Trading waste

Importing EU waste to the UK for disposal

You'll no longer be able to export waste from the EU to the UK from 1 January 2021.

This is because the EU only allows waste to be exported for disposal inside the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

Exporting waste from the UK to the EU for disposal

Generally, you cannot export UK waste for disposal under the UK Plan for Waste Shipments.

Where waste exports from the UK to the EU are permitted, the UK Government will need to submit a Duly Reasoned Request to the relevant EU Competent Authority.

This will need to be done before any notification paperwork.

Transporting waste from the UK to Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland still follow EU rules on waste shipments from 1 January 2021.

This means you'll need to follow EU waste shipment controls when exporting waste from other parts of the UK to Northern Ireland.

Transporting Green List waste

'Green List' waste, such as paper, metal and some plastics, will be subject to transfrontier shipment (TSF) controls.

This means waste exporters must:

  • make sure waste has a completed Annex VII document when its transported
  • have a written contract between the person who arranges the transport of the waste and the destination facility in Northern Ireland

If you're moving waste from Scotland to Northern Ireland, you should submit your Annex VII forms to the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) before moving it.

You can email your form to:

Transporting notifiable Amber List waste

Some types of waste will need consent from SEPA and the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) before you can transport it. These types of waste are known as 'notifiable Amber List' waste.

Before you move this waste you'll need to:

  • submit an application to SEPA and pay a fee
  • arrange a financial guarantee
  • have a contract with a facility in Northern Ireland
  • have insurance against liability for damage to third parties,
  • have permission from SEPA and NIEA.
Back to top