Your local library provides a range of services, including:
- free computer and internet access
- free book loans
- CD, DVD and audio book loans
- events, activities and training
- volunteering opportunities
Your library membership gives you access to online resources and services too.
Other library resources
As well as your local library, you may also want to use other types of libraries, for example national and university libraries. These tend to be for more specialist research and may have restrictions about who can use them.
The following organisations can help you find out what is available:
The Scottish Library & Information Council website has a map of public libraries.
Scottish Confederation of University and Research Libraries's (SCURL) membership is made up of Scotland's university and research libraries. Their website lists contact details for their member libraries.
The National Library of Scotland is a major European research library. It offers:
- an online 'ask a librarian' service where you can ask about collections or services
- digital resources including books, journals, maps, films and learning materials
You can visit the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh and Glasgow.