You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.


You've been redirected from a site that no longer exists (). Find what you're looking for on

Do I need planning permission?

If you want to carry out building work you may need planning permission.

You should always check with your planning authority about whether you need to apply for planning permission for building work.

The following information is guidance only.

Planning permission needed

You may need planning permission if:

  • you want to build something new
  • you want to make a major change to your building – like building an extension
  • you want to change the use of your building
  • your building is in a conservation area (you may need 'conservation area consent')
  • your building is a listed building (you may need 'listed building consent')

Find out if your building is in a conservation area by contacting your Planning Authority.

Find out if your building is a listed building by checking Historic Scotland's listed building search or contacting your Planning Authority.

Planning application not needed

Smaller building projects that do not impact on the surrounding area might not need a planning application. This is called 'permitted development'.

Permitted development rights are granted so that many instances of small alterations and extensions can be carried out without needing to apply for planning permission.

Find out if the building works you want to carry out meet the rules for permitted development.

If your project needs planning permission and you do the work without getting permission first, you may be served an 'enforcement notice'.

It's illegal to ignore enforcement notices but you can appeal against them.

Back to top