How to apply
The Scottish Letting Agent Register is now open for applications.
If you currently carry out letting agency work, you have until 1 October 2018 to make an application. After this date it will be a criminal offence to carry out letting agency work without being a registered letting agent.
If you don't apply on time you will need to pay a late application fee.
You can apply for registration at https://lettingagentregistration.gov.scot.
You will be asked for a variety of information as part of your application including:
- your business's address, contact details, company registration (if any)
- your landlord registration number (if your business has multiple numbers you only need to give one)
- details of relevant unspent convictions or breaches of legislation
- details of professional indemnity and client money protection insurance
- details of current, refused or revoked memberships of professional or industry bodies
You will also need to provide the names and e-mail addresses of those in control of your business and those who must have a qualification/training. This includes:
- the most senior person in your business
- those owning 25% or more of your business (people or organisations)
- those with direct control or governance of the letting agency work (people or organisations)
- those required to hold a relevant qualification/training
We will email them with a link to a secure area for them to confidentially provide us with the relevant details, including:
- date of birth
- address history
- details of relevant unspent convictions
- breaches of legislation
You will be able to track whether they have responded but, to maintain confidentiality, you will not be able to see the information they provide.
You will not be able to submit your application until all necessary information has been given about your business and by the nominated individuals.