Advances in technology mean that many kinds of business can be run from home.
Starting a business from your home can have a number of benefits. These can include:
- reduced costs
- no need to travel to work
- flexible working hours
- before you start a business from your home for example check if you need planning permission, tell your landlord or mortgage provider, check your home insurance cover
- register your business and sort out the taxes you may need to pay including Council Tax and Business Rates
- check what regulations you need to follow for example health and safety when customers and contacts come to your office, trading standards, food safety
- check how to protect your business and customer's information
- setting up a home office, networking and workhubs
- employing staff
- further support for your business
Choosing a business structure
There are different structures you can choose for your business. Each will impact how you run your business and what organisations you may need to work with.
The different types of business structures are:
There's more information on business structures on the Business Gateway website.
You can change your business structures after you set it up.
Creating a business plan
A business plan can help you understand what you want your business to achieve and how.
You'll need a business plan if you want to get a loan from a bank or other investment.
It can also help you to get the support of customers, suppliers and potential employees.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback