You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Agriculture in Scotland (farming and food production)

Agricultural plan

The Scottish Government has a five year plan to make sure farmers, crofters and land users are provided with stability, certainty and simplicity.

This plan makes sure financial support is available for:

  • active farming
  • food production
  • environmental improvements
  • forestry
  • rural development

Food production guidance

The UK Government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has guidance on:

Food Standards Scotland has also published guidance on preparing your business for Brexit. It covers topics like health and identification marks and importing high-risk food and animal feed.

Help and advice

The Royal Scottish Agricultural Benevolent Institute (RSABI) is a charity that provides help and support for agricultural workers and their families who may be stressed or worried. The RSABI site gives information on how you can contact them for help.

Farming and food production help

If you need more information or guidance on farming and food production, you can contact the following:

Topic Organisation Email Telephone
General Brexit advice Farm Advisory Service 0300 323 0161
Exporting animals and animal products, importing animals Animal Health and Welfare 0131 244 9874
Importing and exporting plants and seeds SASA 0131 244 8890
Equine movements and livestock exports Animal Health and Welfare 0131 244 9874
Fresh fruit and vegetables SASA 0131 244 8890
Timber import and export, timber regulations, protection of woodlands Forestry Scotland 0300 067 6000
Environmental protection farming related enquiries NatureScot 01463 725 000
NVZ, silage and slurry, intensive farming, pig and poultry, environmental permits, farming rules for water Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) Online email form 03000 99 66 99
Waste framework and regulation, bringing waste onto and off agricultural land, waste storage and use, waste exemptions and permits Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) Online email form 03000 99 66 99
Pesticides SASA 0131 244 8890
Farming scheme and payments RPID Area office numbers
Trade agreements, tariffs and quotas Department of International Trade  
Visas and immigration Home Office 020 7035 4848
Food safety Food Standards Scotland 01224 285 100
Imports, exports and customs HM Revenue and Customs   0300 200 3700 (state "customs enquiry")
Back to top