Claim compensation for a criminal injury

Last updated: 13 April 2017

You may be eligible for compensation if you or someone you know has been hurt in a violent crime.

You must report the crime to the police in order to claim compensation. Otherwise, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) won't be able to make a payment.

Visit GOV.UK to access the online form for claiming compensation for a criminal injury.

Other ways to apply

Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority helpline
Telephone: 0300 003 3601
Find out about call charges

Get help with your application

Victim Support Scotland gives free and confidential support, and practical help for victims and witnesses of crime.

This can include helping you with your criminal injury claim.

Victim Support Scotland
Telephone: 0345 603 9213
Find out about call charges

Victim Support Scotland can't provide legal advice.

You can also get advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau, a law centre, or from a welfare rights organisation. If you belong to a trade union, they may be able to help.

If your application is turned down

If your application is turned down, you can appeal.

Visit GOV.UK to find out how to appeal to the criminal injuries compensation tribunal.

Further information

Read GOV.UK's guide to criminal injuries compensation for more detailed information on eligibility and how your claim will be handled.