You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Make a court claim for money

You can apply to court to claim money you're owed by a person or business.

There are 2 ways to do this:

Simple procedure replaced 'small claims' and most 'summary cause' claims on 28 November 2016. If your case involves personal injury or housing, apply using the summary cause procedure.

There are other ways to recover money you're owed that could be quicker, cheaper and less stressful than going to court.

Help and advice

You can get help from Citizens Advice Scotland on making a court claim by either:

To speak to someone, you can call Advice Direct Scotland on 0808 800 9060 (find out about call charges).

You could also speak to a money adviser or solicitor.

For business debt advice, contact Business Debtline Scotland.

In-court advice and mediation

At some sheriff courts there are free advice and mediation services for issues such as rent arrears, debt and compensation. This could help you resolve your case before any court action begins.

Mediation is when a trained person discusses a problem with both sides to try to find a solution.

Contact your local court or Citizens Advice Bureau to see what court advice and mediation services are available.

Legal aid

You might be able to get help with the costs of:

Back to top