You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Who has to clean up the land

Local councils or the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) will decide who is responsible for cleaning up the land.


You could be classified as either a:

  • Class A person - if you caused or allowed the contamination
  • Class B person - if you currently own or use the land

If the council or agency can't identify a Class A person, a Class B person may become responsible for cleaning up the site.

What happens next

The council or SEPA will:

  • decide how the land should be cleaned up
  • serve a 'remediation notice' on the polluter or other appropriate person telling them how and by when they must clean up the land

You can agree a voluntary scheme with your local council, if you're responsible for part or all of the clean up. You must tell them what steps you'll take to clean up the land.

Back to top