Apply to make changes to a historic building

Last updated: 9 August 2019

You need to apply for consent if you want to make changes to:

  • a listed building
  • a building in a conservation area
  • a scheduled monument
  • a Historic Marine Protected Area

These buildings are protected by Historic Environment Scotland, which makes sure any changes or improvements made don't ruin their historical importance.

Visit the Historic Environment Scotland website for information on:

  • whether you need consent
  • applying for consent
  • the application process