You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.


You've been redirected from a site that no longer exists (). Find what you're looking for on

Rubbish, bins and recycling

Everyone in Scotland is responsible for dealing with waste. Your local council collects and disposes of household and some commercial waste.

You can help reduce the amount of rubbish sent to landfill by reusing and recycling as much as you can.

Your council can give information on:

  • what rubbish it collects
  • what goes in your recycling bin
  • how to report a missed bin collection
  • how to find your nearest recycling centre
  • ordering new recycling bins for your home


Find your bin collection time

Your local council will let you know when your bins and recycling will be collected.

Missed collections

You should report a missed bin collection directly to your local council.

Special collections

You may be able to arrange a special uplift for large or bulky waste items. Most councils will collect things like old sofas, fridges and washing machines. There may be a fee involved.

Garden waste

Councils across Scotland will either collect garden waste from your kerbside, or recommend that you compost it at home or take it to a recycling or civic amenity site.

Trade waste

Contact your local council to find out how business waste is collected in your area.


What can be recycled

Your local council can give you advice on what you should put in your recycling bin.

Where to take rubbish and recycling

Where appropriate, you can take certain materials to recycling points and recycling centres. Visit your local council's website to find your nearest recycling centre.

Recycling for businesses

Businesses can benefit from reduced disposal costs by recycling. Zero Waste Scotland gives support for businesses, including a business resource centre. The Recycle for Scotland website gives information on what you can recycle in your area.

Litter and fly-tipping

Report litter

If you notice litter on streets in your area, you can report it to your local council.

Report fly-tipping

Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of waste – like a bag of household rubbish, furniture or construction waste – on public or private land. Visit your local council website to report fly-tipping in your area.

You can also report fly-tipping problems 24-hours a day through the Dumb Dumpers website and helpline: 0845 230 4090.

Back to top