Public water and sewerage services

Last updated: 13 May 2020

Most homes in Scotland are provided with water and sewerage services by Scottish Water. Details of charges can be found on the Scottish Water website.

The cost of water, sewerage and drainage is included in your council tax bill and collected by your local council. Any council tax discount that you receive, also applies to water and sewerage.

Water charges across Scotland are set by the Water Industry Commission for Scotland.

Complaining about services

If you're not happy with the water and sewerage services in your home you should first go through Scottish Water's formal complaints procedure.

You can check if there are any emergency or essential works taking place in your area that may affect your water supply or sewerage service.

You can call its customer helpline for free on 0800 777 8778, or email Scottish Water at

If you'd rather write to them, their address is:

Customer Service
Scottish Water
PO Box 8855
EH10 6YQ

If you've been through Scottish Water's complaints procedure and you're not happy with the response to your complaint, you should contact the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO).