Veteran support

Last updated: 17 October 2018

A veteran is anyone who has served for at least one day in Her Majesty's Armed Forces (regular and reserve) or Merchant Mariners who have seen duty on military operations.

If you're a veteran, you can get support in these areas:

Scottish Government support

The Scottish Government is committed to making sure no member of the armed forces veterans community in Scotland faces any disadvantage when accessing services and support. This is further explained in the Renewing our Commitments publication.

The Scottish Government has also appointed a Scottish Veterans Commissioner whose remit is to improve outcomes for all veterans. The commissioner is independent of the government and they have their own dedicated funding.

Local council and health board veterans champions

Local councils and NHS health boards in Scotland have Veterans Champions. They are officials who help make sure the needs of the ex-service community are met in their area.

Apply for a veterans badge

The armed forces lapel badge is for veterans to show that they served in the armed forces.