Education and training funding for veterans

Last updated: 17 October 2018

You can get help paying for qualifications whether you:

  • are planning on leaving the armed forces
  • have already left and want to know more about your options

SAAS grants

The Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) gives financial support to eligible students doing a course of higher education in the UK. If you've been in the armed forces or are the family member of someone in the armed forces who has been living abroad you may be elligible for a SAAS grant. This depends on where you or your family member was a resident when they joined up.

Contact SAAS on 0300 555 0505 to find out if you're eligible.

Enhanced Learning Credit (ELC) scheme

The armed forces ELC scheme allows you to apply for money to pay for qualifications. You can apply whether you're still serving in the armed forces or you've already left.

How it works

If you've joined the ELC scheme you won't need to pay for some qualifications such as certain:

  • Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs)
  • diplomas
  • highers

Find out more about which qualifications you can get and how to apply.