Reporting suspected terrorism
If you think you know of terrorist activity being carried out or planned, there are steps you can take.
- call 999 if there's an immediate threat
- call the police counter-terrorism hotline, 0800 789 321
- if there's no immediate threat to life you can also contact the Security Service (MI5) using their online contact form or freephone 0800 111 4645
- if you've found information, pictures or videos online that promote terrorism, you can report it on the Home Office website
Terrorism threat levels
The Security Services are responsible for protecting the UK from terrorism.
The Office for Security and Counter-Terrorism organises the UK government's response to terrorist incidents.
The Scottish Government plays a part in preparing for, preventing and dealing with terrorist acts in Scotland.
Counter-terrorism laws are enforced by Police Scotland.
The UK Government publishes a National Risk Register which looks at natural and man-made threats.
The Register explains:
- what the threats are
- how serious they are
- how likely it is that they'll happen
- the impact they'll have on people
- how the Government and organisations like the police and emergency services will prepare for and deal with them
Your local council also plans for and and deals with emergencies.