Legal and financial advice after separation

Last updated: 16 March 2018

If you have split up with your partner, there are experts you can speak to if you want to know:

  • what legal help you can get
  • whether you can get help with money
  • what your rights are

Using a solicitor

A solicitor can give you advice on your rights if you want to make a claim against your ex-partner for:

  • a share of your family home
  • other things you own, joint savings or money your ex-partner owes

They can also help with other legal matters, such as issues about children after a separation, or advice about divorce.

Family law solicitors have special training in dealing with the problems couples have after breaking up. You can find a family law solicitor using:

If you need help with your legal costs, you might be able to get legal aid. Or you can see if there are other ways to get help with your legal problem.

Help with money

If you're worried about money after splitting up you can get help from Scotland's Financial Health Service.

Financial advisers

A financial adviser can help if you need to split things like a house or a business with your partner, and you're not sure how this will affect your tax return, savings or any other part of your finances.

Some financial advisers offer a free first session, but they will often charge for any work they do on your behalf.

If you're on a low income

You may be able to get benefits or tax credits to help with your money. If you already claim benefits you may be able to claim more.


If you and your partner own a lot, such as a number of houses or a business, you might want to use an accountant to value these assets.

A 'forensic accountant' can also check whether the value of assets are true, if you think your partner has given false values.

You can find accountants and forensic accountants at the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland website.

Help with pensions

Your pension may be taken into account if you're divorcing or ending your civil partnership.

If you want to find out more about your pension and splitting it with your partner, you can get advice from a money adviser.

Actuaries can also help you work out how your pension affects your finances. You can find an actuary on the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries website.

Find more information about dividing pensions on divorce or dissolution on the Money Advice Service website.