What treatment can I get as a registered NHS patient?
You can get care, advice and treatment from the NHS to keep your mouth, teeth and gums healthy.
If your dentist offers private treatment, they'll:
- tell you how much any treatment costs
- explain your treatment options (including what you can have done on the NHS)
- get your agreement to any treatments
Will I have to pay for NHS treatment?
Most adults over 18 have to pay for dental treatment. You won't have to pay if you're under 19 and in full-time education.
You can ask your dentist how much your treatment costs before it begins.
You get free treatment if you:
- are pregnant
- have had a baby in the last 12 months
- get income support or other specific benefits
You'll need to show proof of this, for example an NHS Tax Credit exemption certificate or award letter.