Smartphones, tablets and disposing of devices
When using smartphones and tablets you should:
- make sure your device is protected by a PIN
- never leave your device unattended
- install internet security software
- install updates to apps
This will help protect your money online and help keep your smartphone or tablet safe from fraud or theft.
QR codes can be the targets of fraud.
When scanning QR codes with your smartphone or tablet, you should:
- download security software with a built-in QR code scanner
- never enter personal or financial information
You can find more advice on QR codes on the Get Safe Online website.
Disposing of computers and devices
You should take care when disposing of:
- tablets or smartphones
- CDs or DVDs
- USB sticks and devices
- memory cards
Criminals can often retrieve data stored on these items – even if you think it has been deleted.
To safely dispose of these items, you can:
- use a file deletion program or service
- destroy the physical item, so no-one can use it again
You can find more advice on disposing computers, media and devices on the Get Safe Online website.