Private sewerage

Last updated: 20 February 2018

You need an authorisation from the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) for discharges from:

  • septic tanks
  • package sewage treatment plants
An 'authorisation' is a document that gives you official permission to do something.

You should contact SEPA if:

  • your septic tank or package treatment plant is not authorised
  • if you want to install a new one