Placement expenses

Last updated: 8 June 2017

If you're studying nursing, midwifery, or an Allied Health Professionals course (AHP) like occupational therapy, you may be able to claim placement expenses.

Your household income must also be below £34,000.

How to apply

Download a claim form from the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) website:

When submitting your claim form, you must:

  • send all receipts for travel and accommodation with your form
  • have an authorised person at your university sign the form – check with your university who this would be
  • send in the form as soon as your placement ends or within 6 months

Send the form to:

Student Awards Agency Scotland
Saughton House
Broomhouse Drive
EH11 3UT

The money must be paid into your bank account. Find out more about getting a student bank account.

What you can claim for: nursing and midwifery students


You can only claim placement travel expenses that cost more than £5 per day, using the cheapest ticket available.


If your placement lasts several days and it costs more than £30 a day for return travel you should stay in local accommodation.

What you can claim for: AHP students


You can only claim placement travel expenses for the cheapest fares possible.


You can claim a maximum accommodation payment of £10.08 during term time (and £8.57 during the summer).

What happens next

After you've applied, you can check your application's progress by going to your online account.

If your application is successful SAAS send an 'award notice' to your online account. This will tell you how much you will get.

Find out how to appeal if your application isn't successful on the SAAS website.