Personal and nursing care

Last updated: 10 February 2017

How to get it

Contact your local council's social work department for an assessment of your care needs.

You can also ask your GP, district nurse or health visitor to arrange an assessment of your care needs for you.

The social work department may provide personal care for you, or it may arrange for a home care agency to provide it.

Find out about self-directed support, which allows you to choose how care support is provided to you.

Private personal and nursing care

To privately arrange your own personal care, contact a home care provider or home care agency.

To privately arrange your own nursing care, contact a nursing agency.

Search the Care Inspectorate's directory of home care providers and nursing agencies.

Even if you decide to arrange and pay for your own personal care, it's still a good idea to get an assessment of your care needs. This means you'll be fully aware of your options and can receive any help you're entitled to for paying costs.

Personal and nursing care
How to get it