The deadlines for paying your tax bill are:
- 31 January - for any tax you owe for the previous tax year (known as a balancing payment) and your first payment on account
- 31 July for your second payment on account
If you prefer to pay regularly throughout the year, you can use a budget payment plan.
Ways to pay
Make sure you pay HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) by the deadline. You'll be charged interest and may have to pay a penalty if your payment is late.
The time you need to allow depends on how you pay.
You can't pay your bill over the phone to HMRC.
Same or next day
- online or telephone banking (Faster Payments)
- by debit or credit card online
- at your bank or building society
- at the Post Office
You need a paying-in slip from HMRC to pay at a bank, building society or Post Office.
3 working days
5 working days
- Direct Debit (if you haven't set one up with HMRC before)