Pay a court fine

Last updated: 13 March 2018

Find information on paying court fines – including what types of fine you can pay online – on the Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service website.

Contact your local Fines Enforcement Officer if you need advice about paying a fine.

It's important you make paying your court fines a priority as not paying a fine can have serious consequences.

What happens if you don't pay a court fine

If you don't pay a fine, the collection and enforcement section of the Scottish Courts and Tribunal Service can:

  • clamp your car or other vehicle and sell it to repay your fine
  • contact your employer and take money from your wages
  • freeze money in your bank account
  • arrange with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to take money from your benefits

In some circumstances, not paying a court fine can even lead to the Procurator Fiscal issuing a warrant for your arrest or a prison sentence.

Find more information on what could happen if you don't pay a court fine on the following websites:

What to do if you can't pay a court fine

If you're not able to pay a court fine you should contact your local Fines Enforcement Officer.

Your Fines Enforcement Officer can change the rate at which you're expected to repay your court fine. They'll make this change based on your income and expenses.

Find out how to contact your Fines Enforcement Officer on the Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service website.