Types of tickets
Local councils manage parking by using different rules and restrictions, known as 'Traffic Regulation Orders' (TROs). You may be given a parking ticket if you don't follow the rules where you've parked.
The different types of parking tickets are:
- Penalty Charge Notices from local councils
- Excess Charge Notices from local councils
- Fixed Penalty Notices from the police or a traffic warden
- private parking tickets from private companies
- Bus lane Fixed Penalty or Enforcement Charge Notices
Find out how to pay your ticket.
Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs)
PCNs are issued by local council parking attendants and are usually given if the rules set out in the Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) have been broken. The attendant will give the ticket to the driver or put it on your car.
These are given when you park in a place you shouldn't e.g. in a bus lane.
Excess Charge Notices (ECN)
ECNs are given by some councils. They're normally given when you don't follow parking rules in council car parks. By parking, you agree to the terms and conditions of the car park - including extra charges associated with the parking.
These are paid or appealed differently depending on the council - check your ticket for details.
Fixed Penalty Notices (FPN)
FPNs are issued by police officers. They'll give the ticket to you or put it on your car. These are given when:
- you park somewhere you shouldn't e.g. on double yellow lines
- you park in a disabled parking space without a valid blue badge
You can also get FPNs for other offences e.g. speeding or anti-social behaviour.
Parking charge notices
If you park on private land, private companies can issue their own fines. You might get a private parking ticket in a supermarket car park or in a multi-storey car park.
Citizens Advice Scotland has information on parking tickets on private land.
Bus Lane FPNs or Enforcement Charge Notices
If you're caught driving in a bus lane when you shouldn't be you could get a penalty. Bus lanes are in operation all the time, unless they have a sign that shows the times when you can't drive in them.
The penalties you can get are:
- Bus lane Enforcement Charge Notices - in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow from the local council
- Bus Lane Fixed Penalty Notices (FPN) - anywhere in Scotland where there are bus lanes