Appeal a Notice of Rejection
Last updated: 5 June 2020

How the decision is made

Once you've submitted your Notice of Appeal, the council will be told about your appeal. If the council:

  • accepts your appeal - you don't need to pay the ticket, any online cases will be closed and any organised hearings will be cancelled
  • does not accept your appeal - an independent adjudicator (a lawyer) will decide your case

You can choose to have:

Telephone and personal hearings may take longer to arrange as they are subject to the availability of adjudicators and venues.

Adjudicators can not consider whether the incident happened for a 'good reason' or why it happened. They can only consider the legal grounds of appeal and nothing else.

E-decision (online appeal decision)

If you choose an e-decision you will get email notifications for any changes in your appeal.

You can sign in to the PBLTS website using the details you registered the appeal with to see what changes have been made, or to check the status of your appeal.

You will be notified of your e-decision by email.

Postal decision

If you choose a postal decision, you'll get a written decision sent to you or you'll be asked for more evidence.

If you wish to put in more evidence, it must be received well before the date you're given.

Personal or telephone hearings

You'll tell the adjudicator about your case if you choose a personal or telephone hearing.

The adjudicator looks at the facts and evidence to decide the case at the end of the hearing.

Personal and telephone hearings last around 30 minutes.

Personal hearings are held in the area where the incident took place. You can ask the tribunal whether your hearing can take place closer to where you live.

If you want someone to attend the personal hearing in your place you must:

  • let the tribunal know in advance
  • give the person a written letter that says you want them to attend for you and has your signature on it

You'll be given 28 days' notice of the date and venue for the personal hearing.

Contact the tribunal in advance to ask:

  • for a different date or venue
  • for special access requirements
  • to switch to an e-decision, postal decision, telephone hearing or personal hearing.

Someone from the council that gave you the ticket is allowed to attend a personal or telephone hearing. You'll be told before the hearing if someone will attend.