Scottish Government

The responsibilities of the Scottish Government include health, education, justice, rural affairs, housing and the environment.


Activity agreements

Information on plans to help young people prepare for employment, training, education and/or volunteering called 'Activity Agreements'.

Add decking to your house

Information on whether you need planning permission to add decking or a platform to the outside of your home.

Adopting a child from abroad

Information on adopting a child from abroad (intercountry adoption) including how to adopt and where you can get support.

Advertisement appeals

How to appeal if your local planning authority asks you to remove an advertisement from your building.

Amenity notice appeals

Information on how to appeal to your local planning authority if you're ordered to tidy land you own.

Arranging a funeral

How to organise a funeral, including funeral directors, burials, cremations and funeral costs.

Background checks on new tenants

Information for landlords on checks you can make on new tenants renting your property. Includes proof of identification checks, credit checks, references and guarantors.

Being arrested: your rights

Includes powers of arrest, rights in custody, legal advice at the police station, young people and vulnerable adults.

Being a witness at court

Information for witnesses of criminal, civil and Children’s Hearing court cases. Includes where to get support if you're worried about giving evidence, and special measures for vulnerable witnesses.

Being charged with a crime

What happens if the police charge you with a crime. Includes being released on an undertaking or kept in police custody until your first court hearing.

Benefit fraud

Includes reporting benefit fraud, what happens if you're suspected of benefit fraud and what benefits can be stopped.

Benefit overpayments

Find information on how to repay any benefits you've been overpaid, including what to do if you cannot afford to pay it back or if you disagree with the decision.

Bereavement benefits and help with money

How the death of your husband, wife, civil partner or child affects your benefits, tax and pension. Includes Bereavement Payment, Bereavement Allowance and other benefits.

Bid for public contracts

Find information on bidding for public contracts, including who can apply and training to help with bids.

Building regulations

Information on what the building regulations are and how to follow them when doing building or conversion work.

Building your own home

A guide to the whole process of building your home, from design and land purchase to builder hire, the build process itself and reclaiming VAT.

Business rates appeals

Business rates appeals process in Scotland including how to appeal, employing a rating agent and guidance on the Valuation Appeal Committee.

Business rates guidance

Business (non-domestic) rates in Scotland, including calculating your rates bill, how to qualify for relief (discount) schemes and appeals.

Business rates relief

Find out about the business rates reliefs (discounts) available in Scotland, including the Small Business Bonus Scheme, and how to apply.

Carrier bag charge

All retailers in Scotland must charge customers for single-use carrier bags by law.

Children's Hearings

Legal tribunals that help young people with problems, such as they're not looked after properly or are in trouble with the police or their school.

Communication agreements

Information on agreeing a method for a landlord and tenant to contact each other during a private residential tenancy.

Complain about the police

How to complain about the police using their procedure or by contacting the Police Investigations and Review Commissioner.

Consumer rights

How to get a refund, repair or replacement when something you buy from a shop is faulty.


Information on the types of ideas that can be protected using copyright.

Council tax

Find out about registering for council tax, ways to pay, exemptions and tax bands in Scotland.

Describing your idea

Information on how to describe your idea to potential customers, funders or business advisors.

Design rights

Information on the types of ideas that can be protected by design rights and how to get them.

Emergency kits

Packing an emergency kit will help you be prepared for any severe weather emergency.

Environmental appeals

Find out how to make an appeal against a decision made by the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) or Scottish Water.

Financial assessments for care

If you need care services that have a charge, the council will carry out a financial assessment to decide what you need to pay.

Find a job

Search for and apply for full or part-time jobs in Scotland, Great Britain and abroad.

Find business events

Find and register for business events, workshops, seminars and conferences in Scotland.

Flooding support

Prepare for flooding, get help during a flood and what to do after a flood.

Forced marriage: support

What to do if you're trying to stop a forced marriage in Scotland or overseas, or if you need help leaving a marriage you've been forced into.

Get help to find a job

Information on services offered by Fair Start Scotland. Fair Start Scotland is a a new employment support service which helps people who want to work but have struggled to find a job.

Growing your business

Find out about growing your business - planning, deciding whether to grow, and the challenges of growing.


Help if you're asked to be a guarantor, or want to know more about what guarantors need to do.

Gypsy Travellers

Advice for Gypsy Travellers on access to services, eviction rights and discrimination.

Hate crime: support

Crimes committed against someone because of their disability, gender-identity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.

Help paying for childcare

Help you can get with paying for registered childcare. Includes funded early learning and childcare and Tax-Free Childcare.

Help with a legal problem

Who can help you if you need advice about a legal problem, such as debt, housing, benefits, employment, divorce or claims for money.

Help with benefits

Includes benefits calculators and finding local organisations that can help you with benefits and welfare rights.

Help with passports

Apply for, renew or update a UK passport, use the Check and Send service, find a passport interview office.

High hedge appeals

Appeal against a high hedges decision – includes deadlines, how to appeal and how long it takes to get a decision.

Hiring a builder

How to hire a contractor for a self-build, or how to build it yourself.

Instead of going to court

If you have a dispute with someone or an organisation, there may be ways to deal with it without going to court.

Keeping your child safe

Information on leaving your child on their own, safety at home, car safety and internet safety for children.

Leaving school: your options

Choices when you leave school including university, college, jobs, modern apprenticeships, starting a business, armed forces, jobs and gap years.

Legal aid

Help with the costs of legal advice and representation in court if you can’t afford it.

Licensing your idea

Information on using licensing to make money from your idea for a product, service or business.

Make a court claim for money

How to take legal action if someone owes you money, how much it will cost and what happens after you make a claim through the courts.

Make a Parenting Plan

A guide to making practical arrangements for your children if you live apart or are separating.

Marriage in Scotland

Getting married in Scotland including how to register a marriage and documents you need.

Microchip your dog

Information about microchipping your dog in Scotland, including how much it costs and where to get it done.

Neonatal Expenses Fund

The Neonatal Expenses Fund helps with the cost of travel and food for parents of premature and sick newborn babies in neonatal care.


Information on the types of ideas that can be protected by patents and how to get one.

Planning your own funeral

How to plan your own funeral, including your funeral wishes, funeral payment plans and where to keep the information.

Prior approval appeals

How to appeal to your local planning authority if it refuses prior approval needed for some development work.

Property factors

Information on hiring a property factor (also known as a property manager) to take care of maintenance in a block of flats.

Public libraries

Library services in Scotland, including find your local library and online resources.

Register a death

Find out how to register a death in Scotland, elsewhere in the UK or abroad.

Report child abuse

What to do if you're worried that a child is being neglected or threatened – call 999 if it's an emergency or they’re in immediate danger.


You may be able to postpone or stop your home from being repossessed.

Resolve a dispute with your neighbour

Information on how to resolve a dispute with your neighbour including noisy neighbours, nuisance neighbours, barking dogs and a boundary dispute like high hedges.

Scaffolding rules

The rules for putting up scaffolding on your property - licence, checks, safety, builder, scaffold companies

School meals

Information about who can claim free school meals and how you claim them.

Scotland's baby boxes

All newborn babies due on or after 15 August 2017 will get a free baby box from the Scottish Government.

Set up as a sole trader

Register as a sole trader and find out your legal responsibilities if you run a business as a self-employed sole trader.

Sex Offenders Register

If someone is convicted of a sexual offence, their details will be held on the Sex Offenders Register.

Shared Ownership

How to share the cost of a new home with a housing association if you can't afford to buy it outright.

SME Loan fund

Scottish government loans of up to £100,000 for resource-efficient projects.

Starting a business from your home

Information on starting a business from your home including setting up a home office, planning permission, title deeds, health and safety, trading standards and waste management.

Staying safe in winter weather

Information on keeping safe during winter weather. Includes travelling, grit bins, loss of utilities, frozen or burst pipes and snow and flooding.

Staying safe online

Information about staying safe online, including: social media, apps, online fraud, cyber bullying, deleting your browser history and reporting online crime to the police.

Storms and strong winds

Help and support during storms and strong winds. Includes information on flooding, lightning, loss of utilities and insurance.

Student accommodation

Find somewhere to live at college or university, including student accommodation or private renting.

Student bank accounts

How to get a student bank account including UCAS confirmation letter and when you can open one.

Student discounts

Student discounts available including student travel card, NUS extra card and ISIC Card.

Support at university

How to get support when you're studying including extra financial support, support for parents, help with your studies and health and wellbeing support.

Trade marks

Information on the types of ideas that can be protected by trade marks.

Training for carers

Improve your caring skills or get training for your career outside your caring role.

Tree works consent appeals

How to appeal if your local planning authority refuses your application to cut down or carry out work on a protected tree.

Types of tenancy

Information on assured tenancies, short assured tenancies and private residential tenancies.

Veteran health

Health benefits and support available to veterans of the armed forces.

Veteran housing

Information for veterans on buying or renting property and homelessness.

Water efficiency support

A water minimisation programme can help your business save on the costs for water supply, treatment and disposal.

What are my human rights?

Human rights are the basic rights and freedoms that belong to every person in the world simply because they are human.

What to do when someone dies

The steps you must take when someone dies – register a death, the procurator fiscal, funerals and bereavement support.