If you're the parent or guardian of a premature or sick newborn baby in a neonatal unit at hospital, you can claim for the costs of travel and food.
You must claim from the Neonatal Expenses Fund within 3 months of your baby being discharged from hospital.
How to claim
Download and fill in the Neonatal Expenses Fund claim form.
You can also get a claim form at the neonatal unit or cash office of the hospital where your baby was cared for.
What you need when claiming
When filling in the claim form you'll need the following information:
- baby's name and date of birth
- names of parents and contact details
- name of the hospital, ward name and number
- consultant's name
- date of admission
- details of your claim
- due date
- bank details, if you want to receive expenses through BACS
You must submit evidence with your claim form (for example, receipts or bank statements) for all public transport, parking and accommodation.
You must get the form signed by a medical professional at the hospital where your baby was cared for.
Where to claim
After you've filled in the claim form, hand it in to the cash office of the hospital where your baby is being treated or post it to the NHS Board in the area where your baby is being treated.
When to claim
You can make a claim:
- more than once throughout your baby's stay in the neonatal unit – for example, weekly
- in full for your baby's entire stay in the neonatal unit once your baby has been discharged – within 3 months
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback