Online and mobile banking
You should always access online or mobile banking using a secure Wi-Fi connection.
If you're using online banking you should:
- use strong passwords and PINs
- look for 'https' and the padlock symbol in your browser
- install internet security software and a firewall
- install updates to software
- check your bank statements for any unusual transactions
You can find more advice on safe online banking on the Get Safe Online website.
If you're using mobile banking you should:
- protect your smartphone or tablet with a PIN
- never leave your smartphone or tablet unattended
- install updates to banking and other apps
- log out of banking apps or mobile websites when finished
You can find more advice on safe mobile banking on the Get Safe Online website.
'Shoulder surfing' is a type of fraud. It involves stealing information by looking over someone's shoulder.
You should be aware of this when using banking websites or mobile apps in public.