Loss of electricity, water or gas

Last updated: 14 June 2019

If you lose your supply of electricity, gas or water, contact the following organisations.


Who you need to contact depends on where you live.

Central and southern Scotland

Phone Scottish Power Energy Networks on:

  • 0800 092 9290 (from landlines)
  • 0330 1010 222 (from mobiles)

Tweet: @SPEnergyNetwork

North of Scotland's central belt

Phone Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE) on 0800 300 999.

Tweet: @SSE


National Gas Emergency Service

If you smell gas phone the National Gas Emergency service.

Phone: 0800 111 999


SGN manage the network that distributes gas across Scotland.

Phone: 0800 912 1700

Tweet: @SGNgas


Phone Scottish Water on 0845 601 8855.

Preparing for periods without electricity, water or gas

You can take steps to prepare yourself for a loss of electricity, water or gas.

For example, at home you could keep:

  • a battery powered or wind-up torch and radio
  • mobile phones, laptops or tablets charged
  • a non-mains powered landline telephone

You could also make a list of any telephone numbers you might need. And keep them somewhere handy.

Help for the elderly and people with disabilities or long-term illnesses

Utility companies work with local councils to make sure vulnerable people get support during disruptions.

You should tell your supplier if you have:

  • a disability
  • a long term illness
  • a visual impairment
  • hearing difficulties
  • any other specific requirements

Medical or mobility equipment

Tell your supplier if you depend on a continuous power supply. For example, for stair lifts or hoists.

Elderly relatives or neighbours

Check on elderly relatives or neighbours who might need help during a power cut.

For more advice contact your gas, electricity, water and communications suppliers.