Lone Parents' Grant

Last updated: 18 July 2017

The Lone Parents' Grant can help with your living costs at university if you're bringing up children on your own.

This grant is available if you're a student who has at least 1 dependent child that lives with you most of the time. You must also be one of the following:

  • single
  • widowed
  • divorced
  • separated
  • no longer living with a partner
SAAS define a 'dependant child' as someone you receive Child Tax Credit or Universal Credit for. This includes children you act as a carer for.

Find out about other available support if you're a parent at university, for example Working Tax Credit and your university's Childcare Fund.

How to apply

You should apply for your Lone Parents' Grant from SAAS at the same time as you apply for other funding or separately.

To apply you'll need to sign in to the SAAS website or create an account.

Documents you'll need

Proof of being a single parent, like a recent:

  • Child Tax Credit letter
  • Council Tax bill
  • full birth certificate (not the shorter one) for a school-age or younger child in your household

What you'll get

You can get up to £1,305. It's 'income assessed' – some of your personal income will be taken into account.

Your grant will be paid on top of your student loan.

If you leave your course you may have to pay back some of the grant.

What happens next

After you've applied, you can check your application's progress by going to your online account.

If your application is successful SAAS send an 'award notice' to your online account. This will tell you how much you will get.

Find out how to appeal if your application isn't successful on the SAAS website.

Other financial support

There may be other bursaries, grants, scholarships and sponsorships that you can apply for.

Once you've started your studies, there is support and money available to help you if you have a financial emergency at university.