The register is likely to start accepting applications from early in 2018. You must have submitted an application by 30 September 2018.
More information on how to register will be given closer to the register opening.
Information on application fees can be found here.
If your application is refused
If Scottish Ministers are thinking of refusing your application, they will let you know and tell you why.
You'll have the right to 'make written representations' (argue your case in writing) to Scottish Ministers before the date they specify.
If they still refuse the application after this, they will let you know and tell you why.
You then have a right to appeal to the First-tier Tribunal for Scotland (Housing and Property Chamber. You must lodge your appeal within 21 days of being told your application was refused.
If the Tribunal agrees with you, they may order Scottish Ministers to enter you in the register.
Information for landlords and tenants
The Scottish Government has produced online information guides for landlords and tenants about letting agent regulation. These aim to help landlords and tenants understand what letting agent regulation is and what it will mean for them.
Further support and advice
If you would like any further information, you can email the Scottish Government's letting agent regulation team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also want to contact one of the following organisations for more support and advice:
- ARLA Propertymark (formerly Association of Residential Letting Agents
- Chartered Institute of Housing Scotland
- Council of Letting Agents
- Landlord Accreditation Scotland
- Propertymark (formerly National Federation of Property Professionals)
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Scottish Land and Estates
For more information on the legislation for registering as a letting agent, you can read the following:
- Letting Agent Code of Practice (Scotland) Regulations 2016 - this sets out the standards of practice that letting agents will be required to meet in delivering their services.
- Letting Agent Registration (Scotland) Regulations 2016 - this sets out the additional information applicants must provide as part of registration and will be included in an entry to the register of letting agents as well as the training that must be met for applicants to be admitted to the register.