(Or press Esc key)
Alternatives to legal aid
If your application for legal aid isn't successful or you don't want to pay towards the costs of legal aid, you have other options.
- there could be ways to get free or cheaper advice to get help with a legal problem
- sometimes there are cheaper ways to sort out problems before a case goes to court – for example, you could find a mediator (when an impartial person helps you come to an agreement) from the Scottish Mediation Network or Relationships Scotland
- you could pay for a private solicitor to give you legal help
Even if you think you'll need to pay for legal advice or representation at court from a private solicitor, getting free advice could be a good way to talk through your options first.
You could try:
- your local Citizens Advice Bureau
- Shelter Scotland for housing issues
- a money advice centre
Or a law centre, they have solicitors and other advisers who can give you free legal advice.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback